Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Cream of the Crop by Alice Clayton



Christy's 4 star review: 


 photo 21F91E3E-DF44-4747-A13F-FF187597F814_zps4th9vipg.jpg

Alice Clayton brings her signature laugh out loud funny and sexy stories and her charming characters once again with Cream of the Crop. It’s book 2 in the Hudson Valley series, and although it can be read as a stand alone, I highly recommend picking up Nuts if you haven’t read it. Be ready to fall in love with these characters and the town, Bailey Falls.

Natalie Grayson is a city girl. She was born that way. Manhattan is her home. She’s an executive at an advertisement firm and she loves her job, her life, and herself. Natalie goes to the Farmer’s Market each weekend. The best part of her Saturday is getting her Brie from Oscar Mendoza, dairy farmer from Bailey Falls Creamery. Oscar and Natalie don’t communicate much, but it’s obvious an attraction is there. When Natalie gets an opportunity to go to Bailey Falls, where Oscar is from, for work, she jumps on it.

The thing I love most about Natalie is her self confidence. She knows who she is, she loves herself, and she doesn’t care what others think. She is someone relatable and a heroine I could easily see myself being friends with.

   photo B00FEDC8-13DD-47CB-81B8-3F5C82B36B9F_zpsaqtorpsk.jpg


Natalie is a city girl. Oscar is a country guy. They are so different in so many ways, but those differences don’t matter when it comes to matters of the heart. When they say ‘opposites attract’, I think Natalie and Oscar were two characters they had in mind. I loved watching Natalie fall in love and take a chance on love again.

I knew I was falling for him in a big way. Whole heart, full butterflies, threatening to burst out of my chest and skywrite my feelings for all the world to see.



As I said before, this story was fantastically funny. I had so much love for Natalie, it was steamy, entertaining and sweet. So why not 5 stars? Well, as much as I loved the story and Natalie, I had some trouble connecting to Oscar. There were moments he aggravated me and overall I didn’t love him as much as I wanted to throughout the story. There were parts of him I did love, but then there were moments I was too disconnected to him. He seemed aloof and withdrawn through parts of the story and it didn’t jive as well with me. I know he’s a reserved kind of guy, and maybe it was just me, but I wanted a little more ‘something’ from his character.

Overall, I loved this story. I loved the positive body image message. I loved Natalie so much and Clayton’s writing is fun and sassy as always. If you’re looking for a read with an amazing heroine and one that will keep you entertained, Cream of the Crop is a book I would recommend!

   photo EC2FC440-3FCC-4F68-AEAA-5E763F304769_zpsfevf8yc4.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment

BBU - Coming Soon