Monday, February 20, 2017

Review: Preston's Honor by Mia Sheridan



There were two brothers—identical twins—and though I loved them both, my soul belonged to only one.

Annalia Del Valle has loved Preston Sawyer all her life. The daughter of an impoverished migrant farmworker, she grew up as an outcast in what was no more than a tiny, cooped up shack in California’s Central Valley. But her heart found freedom in the land, in the wide-open spaces of Sawyer Farm, and in the boys who were her only friends.

Preston has yearned for Annalia since he was a boy. But a sense of honor kept him from pursuing her until he’s unable to hold back any longer and their worlds—and bodies—collide one hot summer night. A night that sets off a chain of events that will alter their lives forever.

Now Annalia is back in town after disappearing without a trace for six long months. Determined to reclaim her heart, her life, and the baby she left behind—the son who was created in a moment of lust and love and pent-up yearning.

Preston has survived grief, a ravaging drought, and the despair of heartache, but he’s not sure he can survive Annalia again. And he might be unwilling to try. Will pride and bitterness keep him from the one thing he’s always longed for?

How do you heal what is irreparably broken? How do you forgive that which is unforgivable? How do you discover that real honor comes not from circumstance, but from the place deep in our hearts where truth resides? And how do you move beyond the wounds of the past to discover that some loves are as solid as the ground beneath your feet, and as enduring as the earth itself?

THIS IS A STAND-ALONE SIGN OF LOVE NOVEL, INSPIRED BY GEMINI. New Adult Contemporary Romance: Due to strong language and sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of 18.

Christy's Review: 


   photo 0DA68803-86D3-429D-92B2-D9314333EAA6_zpsinf6xrfq.jpg

“Someday I’m going to leave here, but a part of my heart is going to remain. With you.”

Preston’s Honor is inspired by the Gemini sign in Mia Sheridan’s signs of love series. This book is 100% a stand alone, but I love that all Mia’s stories are connected in this way. And I’m still waiting for my sign to be featured… ;) Anyway- the Gemini tale of Zeus and Leda’s twin sons influenced this book. We start with two identical twin brothers. Preston and Cole….

Preston and Cole may be identical in looks, but their personalities couldn’t be more different. Cole is fun loving, has a big presence, and is the guy everyone is friends with. Preston is a little more on the quiet side, protective of those he cares for, and full of honor. Annalia has lived near them and has been friends with them since she was a child. Lia comes from a whole different world then they do. The boys live on a big farm, where as Lia is the daughter of a single illegal Mexican woman. Their lives are totally different. Both of the boys have cared for Lia since she was a child. As they grow older, their feelings change.

Cole and Preston both care for Lia, but Preston’s feelings run much deeper than Coles. When it comes time to decide who will pursue Lia, Preston makes a mistake he will end up regretting for a long time to come…

What happened when your words agreed to something but your heart couldn’t be swayed?

The brothers in this story were both lovable in different ways. I really loved Cole and his free spirit attitude, but I felt from the start Preston was the one who deserved Lia. I love the little moments that were special between the two of them. Preston was one of those characters that you couldn’t not love. He’s a special guy.

   photo D975F1DC-51AF-4A8B-BB33-F7D9F0FABF6D_zpshvmq5pwj.jpg


I did end up loving Annalia, but there were moments in the story I had mixed feelings about her and her choices. I guess when it comes down to it, I can understand why she did the things she did… but being in her shoes, I don’t think it’s something I could ever do. Still- I can sympathize with her situation. I don't want to give away a big part of the plot, but once you’ve read the book I think you’ll understand what I’m trying to say. What I did love about Lia was her growth and how she came into her own. Also, I loved the fact that she was strong and self sufficient. She was kind and helpful to those that didn’t deserve it. At heart, I think she is an incredible human being.

Lia and Preston’s story is complicated. It’s not easy, it’s not painless, and it’s got moments of tragedy woven in with the moments of love. Preston’s Honor is full of emotion, angst, and heartache. It’s also a stunningly beautiful, poignant and equal parts heart-wrenching and heart-warming read. I loved the romance aspect, but I equally loved the character growth and development and the bigger picture. Mia’s writing is always flawless. This is a must read story and one I feel will stay with me!
 
 
Preston had always been the one. It had always been him.


   photo 7903B8EF-201E-403D-A24A-F66586C9D6EA_zpsdtncxjfg.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

BBU - Coming Soon